
Ivan was six weeks old as of yesterday. Time has whistled by as it always does but more so when you have a fresh little human to nurture, entertain and soothe. Looking after him during the day has been delightful; being a mum is very rewarding. I’ll continue to have to get accustom to the fact that I’m on his schedule right now and though I may have great plans to start a project every waking day, it’s dependant on him. My babysitter is a car seat placed on stove top (elements off) and range hood fan turned on. He can sleep for hours on end there with dishes clanging and phones ringing, all the while laughing and gurgling away in a sleep state.
Today was our final mid-wife appointment. We spoke about vaccinations, vitamin D droplets and the medical profession’s overkill when it comes to treating “well” babies. Signing on for care under the midwives was simply the best decision we could have made for ourselves. In all my life, this was the most comprehensive medical care I’ve been given. I’ll miss these terrific ladies. This community hosts a picnic in June and we’ll be there for the baby “show & shine”.
Our little boy is “thriving”. He weighs twelve pounds and I’m searching online for a used weight belt to be able to lift him from a transverse position. His eyes are blue but we won’t be able to confirm their true colour until about six months old. The hair appears to be dark blonde and he has more on the back than up top, like an aging man. I look forward to styling his first hair do. Even from birth he sported sideburns. No beard though, as many have asked. His fontanel (soft spot) on the back of his head is now fully sealed but the other, on the top of his head, may take up to a year to close completely. He’s got control of his neck muscles and extremities now so he doesn’t bob around or flail about as much. It is so cute to watch him wipe his mouth with his sleeve after feeding or grab onto a rattle and shake it, however unknowingly. Of course I’m having a ball dressing him up, much to John’s dismay. He keeps telling Ivan that he’ll save him and not to worry. This morning he went out dressed as a lumberjack, checkered jacket and all. What a riot.
No comments:
Post a Comment
We welcome your remarks.