Thursday, September 24, 2009

News Reel vol.8


Time is very precious. Little/Big Ivan is seven months old today and weighs over twenty pounds. Note to self: Buy a “big boy” car sear. It’s hard to believe that around this time last year I had my first ultra sound when John swears he waved at us - “Hello there, I’m not ready to come out yet, stay tuned!”
It would appear that this fine young kid of ours is going to sport deep blue eyes and straight hair. He sure is cute. Every parent thinks their baby is the most beautiful, as they look through their rose coloured glasses. As a joke John said, the other day, “I wonder if he’s hideous but we just can’t see it.” Pretty sure is very cute indeed.
Many new milestones were realized this past month. We gave him a Beenie animal for his crib. It’s a little dog and I think Ivan knows this stuffed miniature to be his own Castro kitty for bedtime snuggles. He strokes the pet so gently, smells him, rubs him all over his face, and squeezes him between his hands. It’s adorable to watch Ivan as he falls asleep with his tiny dog, Fletcher (name on tag).
Feeding solid foods is progressing. Gradually I’m making the food thicker so Ivan needs to chew a little more. In order of favourites he eats: Bananas, Pears, Rice Cereal, Roasted Yams and Apple, Carrots, Yogurt, Peaches, Prunes, and Avacodo. Yesterday I gave him a few toasted oats to eat and he crunched them with a bit of apprehension then reached for more. We are going to keep him a vegetarian for as long as possible. For protein I’ll try soaked beans and legumes.
These days Ivan is getting the last of the breast milk. My goal was to feed him from the breast for six months and we are at seven with heavily formula supplementing. Pumping took much of my “down-time” and when he reached six months of age he became very distracted at the breast, usually ending with him biting me. Not fun. When my mother told the pediatrician of my decision to terminate feeding from the breast, he retorted, “It’s too early, she must continue until he’s in high school.” Thanks for sticking up for me Doc. He assured us that anything after three or four months was just gravy for his immune system.
Ivan’s becoming increasingly mobile. He has little patience for being plopped in his swing or inserted into the exersaucer. As he can reach and roll forwards, he also can crawl backwards. His preference is to be put down where he can chase after toys and practice getting his knees up under his bottom. He’s such a little determined guy. Before the next “News Reel” post, I’m almost certain he’ll have mastered crawling.
Happy birth month, son!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your remarks.