One often feels the desire to lend a hand by making suggestions about a friend’s career, health, love-life, and the like. Although well intentioned, this typically is unwanted and might be worth avoiding. People do what they like, and only change when they feel the need to do so.
I remember when we were just expecting Ivan. Other first time parents, whose baby’s arrived earlier than ours, would write and type unhelpful phrases like, “Enjoy it, time goes by quickly” or “This baby is going to blow your world wide open” or “Buy some earplugs”. I’ve been careful not to do that to other mother’s-to-be, because people and young families should really be allowed to discover parenting on their own, without the influence of other people’s inane remarks and “advice”. On the subject, I have a few choice words for the authors of books who tell you to ‘sleep when the baby sleeps’. Sure you can go right ahead and do that... if you want your house to look like a group of vagrants found an unlocked window and crawled in to carry on their crack cocaine habit. Or if you want your baby to sneeze constantly with all the dust particles and cat hair flying about the place. Or if you never want any visitors because every square foot of your home is a trip hazard. Or if the very idea of using day-old underwear doesn't disturb you. Or if you practice Breatharianism. How about those mothers who tell you that it gets easier as your child gains months? Ha! How does that happen pray tell? As your baby gets older, they sleep less, move more and require a personal chef (moi!). With that last thought I just want to impress on all you mother friends of mine: Unless asked, don’t spoil the ending for the sisterhood.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Leigh, don't tell me you have turned in a clean freak like Mom! There is nothing wrong with a bit of dust, it can actually help children NOT to develop allergies. Most things are fine in moderation.
ReplyDeleteNOTE: there was no mention of ending brotherhood, thus I felt I could post this comment. :)