Saturday, July 4, 2009

Toronto, Summer 2009


Last week we were in Toronto for four days on the occasion of John’s cousin’s wedding. It was a hot drive for Ivan and we’ve agreed that it will be a long while before we subject him to extended road trips. Babies really do rely on their parents for constancy; discarding their schedule completely for days on end makes for one upset son. He may have napped for a total of half an hour during each of those four days. Poor kid. Irrespective of his lack of sleep he didn’t make a peep at the wedding ceremony, dressed in his classy tux-t-shirt, other than his baseball-player- chewing-cha imitation and yes if you are lucky he’ll use you arm as a spittoon. After surveying the lay out of the boat for the reception, Ivan and I passed on the cruise. To be on a vessel with no place to go escorting a four-month old on minimal sleep, coupled with relatives anxious to poke him would have been disastrous for his mental well-being. I was sorry to have to have missed celebrating Kyle and Shani’s wedding but a mother must consider the needs of her child first. We had a nice visit with the Fenton grandparents for a day, where they took charge to caring for Ivan while John and I went off to the Bass Pro Shop to play hunting video games on his birthday. Grandma Fenton dug out some old photos of John and I was alarmed at the size of my husband in baby form: he was almost the circumference of a beanbag chair. Whoa and I thought Ivan was a big lad!
While we were staying at Minto Yorkville (the company I work for owns a beautifully furnished high end building and staff stay for a nominal fee) we were able to entertain a few old friends in the Toronto region, along with making a house call to another good friend of ours. All in all the entire trip was worth the effort however we feel Ivan needs normalcy for a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your remarks.