Monday, January 18, 2010

The End of an Era


I’ve been back at work for this last past week and the keys to baby Ivan were given to dear ol Dad. John is doing a marvelous job at keeping his son happy, making baby food and juggling the household tasks. Mum thought being at work was a welcome change at first but as office work became more routine she realized how desperately she longs for the days when she was ‘on call’ for her number one son, struggling to dress him, changing is rank pants, washing endless loads of tiny outfits, and helping him to be comfortable.
There is such precious little time in our own lives and passing years. We’ve realized this on a greater level after we brought a baby into the world and watched him grow from a displaced newborn into a young baby boy who’s interested in how the world around him functions. I practiced yoga after work today and was devastated to return home to find that Ivan had gone to bed. Tears even. I needed to hug him. I needed him to smile at silly mummy. I’m going to bed early tonight so that I can play with him for a sliver of the morning before I get ready for another day of making someone else rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your remarks.